Landlord FAQs

Some of the most frequently asked questions our landlords ask us are answered below.


If your question is not answered please give us a call.


As a landlord how much will i get?


Jigsaw Property Solutions will visit your property free of charge and without obligation to advise you of a realistic rental valuation based on the property’s size, location, condition of repair and market conditions.



How do you market my property to potential tenants?


Finding a tenant for your property is the number one priority for us here at Jigsaw Property Solutions.


We can offer you one of the best advertising programmes available in the Lincoln rentals market at no extra cost to you to ensure your property has exposure to the widest market.


The majority of potential tenants use the internet to look for property to rent and therefore we advertise our available properties on the most popular property search portals –,,, and our own website.


We also market your property through Facebook and Twitter as well as through our own Mobile app available to tenants through GooglePlay and the AppStore.


To ensure we promote your property to the widest audience we also promote your property using traditional methods such as local Lincoln press and shop window displays.


How do you check the suitability of a tenant?


Once a tenant is found, it is of paramount importance to the success of that tenancy that the suitability of that tenant is assessed, which is where our expertise and experience in selection becomes invaluable.


We use independent credit referencing agencies who will check the creditworthiness of your new tenant along with their employment details and any previous landlord reference.


As long as the tenant passes this check, we are able to offer you a rent guarantee to protect your rent payments and legal costs should the tenant fail to pay.


What legal requirements do I need to satisfy?


Prior to marketing your property, you will need to have an valid energy performance certificate. This shows a potential tenant the approximate running costs of the property. We can organise this for you


If the property has a gas supply then you will need a landlords safety certificate on all gas appliances which has to be checked each year. We can organise this for you too.


Some properties, particularly shared houses may need a licence from the local council before you can rent it to tenants. We can advise you on this.


Landlords have to perform a risk assessment on their property to determine the risks of legionnaires disease and take appropriate action. We can arrange this for you.


As a landlord you have a duty to provide your property to your tenant in a safe and habitable condition. We can give you advice as to how to best comply with this.


Do I need to tell my mortgage company?


Yes, you should always seek permission to rent your property first from your mortgage company.


Do I need to tell my insurance company?


Yes, you should always ensure your property is correctly insured. You may find that choosing a specialist rental insurance rather than amending a domestic policy will give you wider cover for the kind of perils faced when renting your property. Ask us for a quotation.


Do I need to tell the taxman?


Yes, you should advise the Inland Revenue that you are renting your property. Income from rent is taxable although you can offset many of the costs you may incur. Ask us for details.


Can I insure against lost rent?


Yes, a rent guarantee insurance policy provides you with protection for this. Ask Jigsaw Property Solutions for more information and a quote.


Do you collect a deposit from the tenant?


Yes,we collect a deposit equivalent to one month’s rent from the tenant.


How do you check the tenants are looking after the property?


We carry out regular property inspections as part of our fully managed service to check that the house is being kept clean and tidy and in good condition. We will report back to you if we find anything that concerns us.


What happens if something goes wrong with the property?


As part of our fully managed service we can deal with any problems that arise with the property, providing you with quotations for work where necessary and arranging for repairs to be carried out. We also offer a 24 hour emergency service to tenants as part of our fully managed service. We have introduced a simple, multi lingual, fault reporting process on our website and via a mobile app which allows tenants to report their problems quickly and in greater detail. You can see it by clicking here.


I want to rent my property. What shall I do next?


Contact us to arrange a free valuation and to discuss any questions you may have. Call us on 01522 888899 or email us.


I have to make an insurance claim. What should I do?


Jigsaw Property Solutions recommend using a claims management company to deal with your claim. All you have to do is provide them with your insurance details and they will take care of the rest. They will liaise with your insurer to get the necessary work completed more quickly and without and hassle to you or your tenant. We recommend calling Aspray Claims Management on 0800 077 6705 who can help, even if your claim is for the home you live in! They are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. They will even pay part of your insurance excess!