Tenant FAQs

Will my property be inspected ?

Yes. Property inspections are normally carried out every 3-6 months. The purpose of an inspection is to ensure that the property is being looked after and also to deal with any issues you have with the property. It should last no more than 15 minutes. We will contact you well in advance of such an inspection and encourage you to be present where possible. If you do have a problem with your property between inspections you can report a problem by clicking here.


I am having difficulty paying my rent. What should I do?

We are here to help. It is important to let us know any issues you may have as soon as possible. That way we can help you to arrange a payment plan and ensure your landlord understands your situation. If we are aware of the issues you are having we are better placed to be able to help.


I am having a problem with my neighbours. What should I do?


In the first instance we would suggest you talk to them. Very often lack of communication between two parties leads to an escalation of the problem, or they may not even be aware of the problem. e.g. if they are out at work all day they may not realise their pet is constantly making a noise.


If you are still experiencing problems after talking to your neighbours you can contact your local council who should be able to provide assistance and guidance. e.g. if noise is a problem a noise abatement officer.


It is always a good idea to let us know if you are experiencing problems and what action you have taken.


I have a friend or partner that wants to share my house. What do I do?


In the first instance contact the office on 01522 88 88 99 as each situation is different. We need to seek permission from your landlord. It is likely that your friend or partner will need to undergo a reference check before they can move in. We may also need to draw up a new tenancy agreement for you.


What happens to my deposit when I hand the property back to you?


The deposit you paid to us is lodged with the Deposit Protection Service which is the government authorised deposit scheme.


Once you have returned all keys to the property, we will carry out a property inspection and take photographs to determine its condition, and also to justify any charges that the landlord may need to make to you. For example, in respect of any cleaning needed, damage caused, or any money still due for bills or rent etc. You should ensure you have paid up any outstanding rent when you return keys, as we are unable to release deposits for anyone in the house whilst any rent is outstanding.


Once we have determined any costs, we will request the monies to be deducted from your deposit with the DPS. The charges will be deducted in equal shares from all of the tenants who had resided at the property unless a different share of cost has been agreed by all the tenants in advance and we have been made aware of this.


To claim your deposit back you will need your deposit ID number and your repayment ID number. These will have been sent to you before the start of your tenancy by the DPS.


If you do not have them, you can contact the DPS on 0330 303 0030 who will be able to provide you with this information. Alternatively you may enquire via email to enquiries@depositprotection.com or visit their website at www.depositprotection.com. You can also text REPAY followed by your deposit ID to 07537 404808 to receive a text with your repayment ID direct to your registered mobile number. We are unable to provide you with your repayment ID so please do not ask us to do so.


Once you have these 2 pieces of information you can log on to www.depositprotection.com and see if your deposit is ready for release.


For student tenancies, it generally takes a minimum of six weeks to determine costs so therefore we do ask you not to make any request for a deposit refund before this time as we are likely to simply reject your claim. If more than six weeks have passed since your tenancy ended and no decision on your deposit is shown online then you should contact us by phone to establish what the problem is.


If you disagree with any claim then you must dispute this through the DPS Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) service. This is an independent service and a free alternative to going to court. It includes collating and summarising the evidence and submissions from both parties, and provides adjudication by an independent qualified lawyer who has considered and analysed the evidence submitted by both parties.


If I have a problem which I don't feel is being dealt with, what are my options?


In the first instance please contact our office if you have a complaint which you feel isn't being dealt with effectively. We will aim to resolve your complaint quickly and fairly.


If you are still dissatisfied, Jigsaw Property Solutions is a member of The Property Ombudsman and you can direct your complaint to them.


What days do my bins get collected?


You can visit your local councils website for details of refuse collection services and collection days.


For Lincoln try www.lincoln.gov.uk


North Kesteven: www.n-kesteven.gov.uk


South Kesteven: www.southkesteven.gov.uk


West Lindsey: www.west-lindsey.gov.uk


East Lindsey: www.e-lindsey.gov.uk


Am I allowed to keep pets?


The keeping of pets at the property is not allowed unless consent is given by your landlord. It is quite usual for the landlord to request a larger deposit from you and to ask you to have any floor coverings professionally cleaned and flea treated when you leave.


I reported a repair issue to Jigsaw but haven’t heard from a contractor. What should I do? Non-Urgent Repairs

If you have not heard from a contractor within 3 working days of you reporting the repair, please call the office on 01522 88 88 99 to get an update.


We contract out most repairs to outside contractors so it is important for us to know if there is a problem. Keeping us informed will help to get the job completed quickly. Urgent Repairs


If you haven't had an urgent repair rectified within 48 hours please contact the office on 01522 88 88 99 and we will chase the repair for you.


Can I make changes to my property?


Your tenancy does not allow you to make any changes to the property such as fixing up wall brackets and shelves, redecorating or changing floor coverings.


However, many landlords welcome their tenant making sensible improvements. You must always seek permission first before you make any changes and it is always best to get the permission in writing so contact us first if this is something you want to do.